Velas Vallarta has long practiced green tourism, and is considered a leader in the field. Utilizing the energy of the sun, biodegradable cleaning products and creative composting and irrigation practices, the property holds prestigious environmental certifications. Velas Vallarta is proudly committed to its environmental initiatives and to continuing to implement new processes that further reduce, reuse and recycle.
- As one of Puerto Vallarta's best-established resorts, Velas Vallarta is a leader in sustainable tourism. The property is committed to reducing, recycling and preservation.
- Staff undergo continuous training in green initiatives and are encouraged to adopt a ‘green' attitude at home as well. The resort uses only biodegradable products for cleaning and maintenance, and the gardens are fertilized with natural compost made of organic waste from the restaurants.
- All solid waste is processed by an independent company that separates glass, plastic, metal, cardboard, organic waste and toxic materials for recycling and appropriate disposal. The property also utilizes solar panels located on the roof to heat water.
- A wide range of measures are taken to protect the gulf sea turtles that come to the beach to lay their eggs; the eggs are carefully transported to a protective facility to hatch safely. Baby sea turtles are then released into the sea. During the summer months, Velas Vallarta offers guests the chance to participate in the activity and help save the sea turtles.
- The resort's commitment to the environment has earned various recognitions such the EarthCheck Gold Certificate and Distintivo S, awarded by the Secretary of Tourism.